Didn’t Quite Make It

I love porcupines, so I was sad to see this one didn’t quite make it.

Now, I have three cats, and we want to get a dog, so the thought of porcupines near our home is a cause for some concern… but so far no one has gotten into it with a porcupine, and that’s how I like it. I had a pet porcupine as a kid, and they’re just as sweet as can be when they’re not scared. Oh - that bit about them shooting quills? Total myth. They’re VERY sharp, but you have to make contact with the porcupine to get stuck.

We Love and Miss You Mike

I don’t know who Mike is, but the porcupine’s placement is certainly very ironic.

Comments

1. TJ McDowell says:

So when a porcupine gets run over, does it puncture a tire? We don’t have them in our area.
    TJ McDowell recently posted Increase Website Traffic By Posting Wedding Pictures Online

2. i dont love porcupine’s but sad for her…

3. yara @ Jones Act Attorney says:

Although, I am not familiar with what porcupine is, ( I haven’t seen one ) but looking at the photo I feel sad for that scene. Even though they are animals, they have the right to live normally in this world and we should not treat them brutally. I sympathize with what had happen to porcupine.

4. James Lee says:

@TJ - I don’t think it would puncture the tire, but I could be wrong. The quills are modified hair follicles, and while they’re very sharp, they will bend fairly easily. I think if you ran it over, it would be possible to have some stuck on the tire, but I don’t think they could puncture it.

5. One of our portals is leaching your photo but they did’nt give you credit for it. See for yourself:

(There is no Contact form on Copyright page)

Best regards!

6. Karen says:

Oh that’s so sad, poor thing, one minute it’s enjoying life and then bang!
    Karen recently posted Time Keeps Flowing Like A River!

7. James Lee says:

Thanks for the heads up, Gordana. I’ve updated my Copyright page. :)

8. Keith Davis says:

Hi James
    Lots of animals killed on the roads and I guess most of us just ignore it!
    I’ve lost a few cats on the road but what can you do to stop it?
    Don’t know, but still sad and upsetting.
    Keith Davis recently posted Two way traffic

9. Kevin says:

This is so sad! The porcupine is one of my most favorite animals. They look like little cuddly bears and it’s always sad to see them get killed on the highway. Kind of unreal how this all happened over the spray painted road.

10. Claire says:

Aside from what we all feel about the dead animal, I am proud of the foot shot.

11. Lemerou says:

I usually quite like porcupines (we had a small one in our garden when i was a kid) but i have to say the first pic is really well done…
    Lemerou recently posted Young girl on Kuta Beach

12. Petar Ilic says:

Excellent photo with only hand of porcupine. Made me feel sadness. Very good!
    Petar Ilic recently posted Accommodation Zadar Apartments Zadar

13. Bishwajeet says:

Excellent pic with great details
    Bishwajeet recently posted Try out a non-conventional window manager – Awesome

14. John says:

Aw sad porcupine! What does the message say that was spray painted underneath of it??

15. Maybe the porcupine missed Mike way too much and charged into traffic. lol
    I had never heard of anyone having them as a pet before. I wouldn’t think you would have been able to snuggle up.

16. Leah @ Walking Tours Rome says:

So sad.. Can’t believe how close you got on that first photo. Looks like it was possible placed there. Weird..

17. Chris @ Maritime Attorney says:

I found your blog recently, i must say that i like your pictures quite a lot. Recently I started to take an interest in photography and started researching about technical details. Never using a camera before all the terms were quite overwhelming, f-stops, dof, focal length, what does 15-55mm means on a lens, (being used to the x zoom marketing). Slowly I`m getting the hang of all that stuff and this is important for me to decide on what camera to buy.
    May I ask what camera do you use to take your pictures, and maybe what camera would you recommend for a beginner as myself.

Great blog, great photos.
    Cheers.