Detroit Airport

Loved the curve of the ceiling, and squeezed off a quick shot. Had to tweak the heck out of this to rid it of noise, so look at the EXIF data and don’t do that.

Comments

1. Great composition. I have the same problem with noise in a lot of my shots. How do you deal with it?

2. James says:

In this case, I dealt with it by first converting the image to black and white, then I used Adobe Lightroom’s noise reduction tools. I like the luminescence control; you get a lot of bang for your buck with that tool.

You can find a full size version of this picture here, and you can see I left a lot of noise in… but really what happened in this image is I blew it with 1/1000 shutter speed. This really should have been 1/160 or so. The tram to my gate arrived just as I snapped this, so I didn’t have time to reset and take another shot.

3. # 1 fan says:

is it just me, or does it kind of look likea take off on an Alexander Calder mobile?

4. Michelle @ Custom Sticker Printing says:

Nice. This is a real classy picture. I like how it is black and white, I think that added a lot of effect to make the image look gloomy. I actually like pics of moving objects, captured at that moment.

5. Claire says:

Good call on the B&W - shot would not have been successful otherwise. #1 Fan - yes - very Calder-esque :-)

6. Randall @ London Wedding Photographer says:

Well done, love how the upper curve just touches the top edge of the frame at the corner. I’ve been itching to do an airport terminal series, thanks for the inspiration!
    .-= [email protected] Wedding Photographer´s last blog ..Surrey Wedding Photographer: Aga and Stuart in Weybridge =-.

7. Peter @ Tallahassee Photography says:

Wow, great lines in that photo. B&W is certainly the way to go with it. Good job.

8. James says:

Peter - I got a better set in Milwaukee, but if you can get away with it, airports are a fun place to shoot.

Thanks again for the comments, everyone!

9. Ryan says:

This is a really great black and white shot! The architecture provides great contrast in not only tones but also shapes and lines.

I have to say, now that you mentioned it, I think I can see some similarities in our styles of travel photography. That must mean that you have a great eye! Haha
    Ryan recently posted Tourist Photography in Washington, DC

10. Vishal @ Accounting Outsourcing says:

I love the curves too…and i am a big big, humongous fan of black and white photography! love this image…

11. Paris @ Detroit Limousine says:

That is a very good picture and you have some really good content on your blog.

12. lynne @ Custom Stickers says:

Did you not have any security stop you for taking photos at an airport? I did at an airport over here in the U.K. I was made to feel like a criminal and the police were called!

13. That is a really cool shot. I love the curve of the ceiling!

14. Didn't Read @ Comment Policy says:

Very nice. I see no noise whatsoever. Good lines in this image!

15. Anne says:

Really Very good shot. Detroit airport looks really fantastic.

Anne
    My blog: Andrew Marc Leather Jacket
    Anne recently posted Andrew Marc Leather Jacket

16. Katie Smith says:

Nice shot. But I think this will also look great if it had colors in it.

Katie Smith
    Katie Smith recently posted Eva Longoria Looking To Be A Mother

17. Taylor Timms says:

Just love the picture. I remember waiting 4 hours for my flight to korea in detroit airport. huge place.

18. Sam says:

A great picture but it reminds me of the new Suvarnabhumi airport in Bangkok. Are all airports these days designed to the same basic plan?

19. Sally Cornwell says:

Even though the picture is in black and white, the image is not dizzying at all. There are no distractions on the picture that can take off the balance on the image.

20. Frederic says:

I also love the curve of the ceiling above. By the way, what is EXIF data? One side, you ask to look at EXIF data; but the other side, you prohibit doing that. What do you mean?

21. Mike Garry says:

What photo camera do you use and what iso was set ?
    Mike Garry recently posted Most important things which woman can do to protect her health

22. Ryan says:

This is nice reading this post. Based on the photograph, I can imagine how the situation was. Actually, I really enjoy your choice of black and white format. The photo can portrays the surrounding in Detroit Airport from another point of view. Regards.

23. Alexa @ Health Story says:

Wow! You got a nice shot, I love the background color of this picture and it very nice to look on. How do you get a nice shot like this? Well, I may now having interest about photography.
    Alexa recently posted Natural Remedies For Heartburn

24. Gricelda Vattes says:

I loved the curve of that ceiling too, you got a nice quick shot! The black and white background is cool and that is probably the best in that picture.
    Gricelda Vattes recently posted Woodworking AdviceMy Profile