These things have become the bane of my existence. They’re pretty bad near my house this year. Anyone have a good idea on how to get rid of them?
This image used a technique called focus stacking. I took the photo with a macro lens, and got really close to the mosquito (it was on the other side of the window – you can see the frame on the left side of the photo). I opened the aperture all the way, and it’s a 105mm lens. The distance to the subject, the length of the lens, and the aperture all combined to provide a very short depth of focus. If the end of the mosquito’s legs were in focus, the first joint was far enough away to be blurry!
To create a crisp image, I took 17 photos in all. In the first, I focused on the ends of its legs. I changed the focus a tiny amount after each photo so that by the final image, the furthest tip of its wings were in focus. Using the computer, I combined the sharpest part of each photo to create a single, well focused image.