Detroit Airport

Detroit Airport

Loved the curve of the ceiling, and squeezed off a quick shot. Had to tweak the heck out of this to rid it of noise, so look at the EXIF data and don’t do that.

Comments

1. Stephen Paylor says:

Great composition. I have the same problem with noise in a lot of my shots. How do you deal with it?

2. In this case, I dealt with it by first converting the image to black and white, then I used Adobe Lightroom’s noise reduction tools. I like the luminescence control; you get a lot of bang for your buck with that tool.

You can find a full size version of this picture here, and you can see I left a lot of noise in… but really what happened in this image is I blew it with 1/1000 shutter speed. This really should have been 1/160 or so. The tram to my gate arrived just as I snapped this, so I didn’t have time to reset and take another shot.

3. # 1 fan says:

is it just me, or does it kind of look likea take off on an Alexander Calder mobile?

4. Michelle says:

Nice. This is a real classy picture. I like how it is black and white, I think that added a lot of effect to make the image look gloomy. I actually like pics of moving objects, captured at that moment.

5. Good call on the B&W – shot would not have been successful otherwise. #1 Fan – yes – very Calder-esque :-)

6. Well done, love how the upper curve just touches the top edge of the frame at the corner. I’ve been itching to do an airport terminal series, thanks for the inspiration!
    .-= Randall@London Wedding Photographer´s last blog ..Surrey Wedding Photographer: Aga and Stuart in Weybridge =-.

7. Wow, great lines in that photo. B&W is certainly the way to go with it. Good job.

8. Peter – I got a better set in Milwaukee, but if you can get away with it, airports are a fun place to shoot.

Thanks again for the comments, everyone!

9. This is a really great black and white shot! The architecture provides great contrast in not only tones but also shapes and lines.

I have to say, now that you mentioned it, I think I can see some similarities in our styles of travel photography. That must mean that you have a great eye! Haha

10. I love the curves too…and i am a big big, humongous fan of black and white photography! love this image…

11. That is a very good picture and you have some really good content on your blog.

12. Did you not have any security stop you for taking photos at an airport? I did at an airport over here in the U.K. I was made to feel like a criminal and the police were called!

13. That is a really cool shot. I love the curve of the ceiling!

14. Very nice. I see no noise whatsoever. Good lines in this image!

15. Really Very good shot. Detroit airport looks really fantastic.

Anne

16. Katie Smith says:

Nice shot. But I think this will also look great if it had colors in it.

Katie Smith

17. Taylor Timms says:

Just love the picture. I remember waiting 4 hours for my flight to korea in detroit airport. huge place.

18. A great picture but it reminds me of the new Suvarnabhumi airport in Bangkok. Are all airports these days designed to the same basic plan?

19. Sally Cornwell says:

Even though the picture is in black and white, the image is not dizzying at all. There are no distractions on the picture that can take off the balance on the image.

20. I also love the curve of the ceiling above. By the way, what is EXIF data? One side, you ask to look at EXIF data; but the other side, you prohibit doing that. What do you mean?

21. Mike Garry says:

What photo camera do you use and what iso was set ?

22. This is nice reading this post. Based on the photograph, I can imagine how the situation was. Actually, I really enjoy your choice of black and white format. The photo can portrays the surrounding in Detroit Airport from another point of view. Regards.

23. Wow! You got a nice shot, I love the background color of this picture and it very nice to look on. How do you get a nice shot like this? Well, I may now having interest about photography.

24. Gricelda Vattes says:

I loved the curve of that ceiling too, you got a nice quick shot! The black and white background is cool and that is probably the best in that picture.

Comment Policy: Unless you've received special dispensation (you know who you are), you must use your real name. We're all friends here, so if you want to be "Ron the plumber," that's cool, but you can't be "Best Plumber." See the comment policy for more.